2 Day Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Course
What does a Mental Health First Aider do?
A mental health first aider acts as the first point of contact for anyone who want to discuss their mental health. The mental health first aider can provide advice and support in a confidential, non-judgemental way before a professional mental health specialist is contacted.
How do you become a Mental Health First Aider?
We offer a 2-day mental health first aid course delivered by an MHFA England registered trainer.
It includes; how to support someone in a crisis situation, when and where to signpost to support and how to keep yourself safe in your role as a mental health first aider. It also covers several mental illnesses, and how to spot signs and symptoms of these.
Is Mental Health First Aid mandatory?
While it is not yet a legal requirement for organisations to have a Mental Health First Aider, The Health and Safety Executive highly recommend that they consider it.
Who should take this Mental Health First Aid course?
- Parents, Teachers, Careworkers – anyone involved in working around young and/or vulnerable individuals who may need support with mental health
- Workplaces – Aimed at all employees, this course is suitable for anyone looking to help implement better mental health practices within the workplace
- Individuals – Anyone who is looking for a better understanding of mental health and how they can support those struggling
How is it delivered?
This course can be delivered online via zoom, or face to face either in one of our settings, or your own school or workplace.
Why complete a Mental Health First Aid course?
For employers, Mental Health First Aid can improve workplaces in many ways including reducing absences, improving productivity and retaining staff.
For teachers and carers, 1 in 6 school-aged children have a mental health problem, Mental Health First Aid enables you to support these children.
How is Mental Health First Aid training delivered
This mental health first aid course can be delivered in different ways including:
- Online (via Zoom)
- Face-to-face in one of our settings
- One site at your school or workplace
How do you complete the Mental Health First Aid course?
The course is interactive with group and individual activities throughout. To complete the course, you must show an understanding of mental health through answering questions during the session and complete all additional homework activities. Upon completion, you will receive a certificate from MHFA England.
What does this Mental Health First Aid course cover?
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Define mental health and understand different things that can affect someone’s mental wellbeing
- Identify signs of various mental health issues using the techniques and skills discussed
- Confidently reassure and support someone who struggling with mental health
- Signpost individuals to appropriate mental health support and resources where necessary